There is no hard and fast rule about treating wounds at home since it depends on the wound itself. Some are superficial while others are deep. If the child is fully immunised for age, then a Tetanus Shot is NOT required. These are the items you could keep handy but at the end of the day, a doctor should be consulted is there is gaping or if the bleeding doesn’t stop or if there is a head trauma
- Lots of gauze to clean the wound
- Spirit swabs (yes they sting but they are easily avaikabke and are disposable too)
- Paracetamol syrup and the dose is 15mg per kg per dose to lessen the pain, redness and swelling, if any.
- Dettol water if spirit is unavailable.
- Some sticking plaster to keep the wound covered when gauze is applied
- Again like Dr. Aziz Ahmed Khan and Dr. Mutayyab Naseer have said, it’s always best to consult a doctor if you’re not sure about what to do with the wound and whether it needs further dressings or not.
- Quench Cream if it’s a burn and one could also use Aloe Vera till your child is seen by a doctor.