Being a doctor and a mother this topic scares me a lot, however it is not so common in Pakistan!
It's an unexplained death in a baby under one year and it is very common under the age of six months.
More boys die due to SIDS than girls. Most of the babies who die are cesarean babies. One can take the following preventive measures:
- Do not smoke infront of your baby and if the father smokes then do not let your baby sleep with him.
- Do not over dress your baby while sleeping.
- The room where your baby sleeps should be well ventilated.
- SIDS is also known as crib death or cot death child usually dies in the cot. Make sure to lie your child on the back with head up.
- Do not place any stuff toys or pillows in the cot with the baby.
- Breastfeeding decreases the chance of SIDS. Breastfeed the baby.
- Do not give the pacifier to the infant while sleeping.
- Sleeping in the same room as baby reduces the chance of SIDS.